New York

New York · Questions

Has anyone dealt with alternate side parking while they're medically unable to move their car?

Has anyone dealt with alternate side parking while they're medically unable to move their car?

Transport 7 answers • micaelaledesmamicaelaledesma
I have a broken leg, but am still supposed to move my car twice a week. I tried calling 311 and they gave me a number to call about getting a parking permit, but it was after 5PM on Friday when I called so I have to wait for normal business hours. In the meantime, has anyone ever gotten a permit like this before? I'm not sure if something like this even exists. My backup plan is to use crutches to go sit in the car during alternate side hours, but I have a job so that's not a great solution for the next 8 weeks. I don't have a partner and asking a friend to move my car 16 times over the next 2 months feels like way too big of a favor to ask of someone, but I also can't afford an extra $130 / week in tickets. Does anyone have any advice?
Write an Answer

5 Answers · 2 replies

Daan Bakker •
It's a big ask to borrow a car 16 times, but you might be surprised by how willing friends are to help. Framing it as a favor in return for a nice dinner could make a big difference.
micaelaledesmamicaelaledesma OP •
If you can't get your friends to cover all 16 moves, you could ask them to help with some of them. This would reduce the number of tickets you'd need to deal with, and you could offer to host a dinner as a thank-you.
Paola M •
You could consider renting out your car while you're unable to drive. It would require some logistical work, including dealing with insurance and mileage limits, but it might be a viable option.
micaelaledesmamicaelaledesma OP •
While your car may be perfect to you, it's possible that loaning it out could be a risk, especially if you're not there to deal with any potential issues. Insurance nightmares could be a major concern.
Britta Schmitt •
There are storage facilities in Queens that offer secure parking for around $200-250 per month. This could be a good solution if you need to keep your car safe while you're not driving.
Niklas Schmitt •
If you're looking to park your car for an extended period, you might be able to find a street in NYC with no alternate side parking restrictions. Just be aware that you can't park in one spot for more than seven days, although this rule is rarely enforced.
vanessa56vanessa56 •
If you can find a street that only requires you to move your car once a week, you might be able to get a friend to move it for you 8 times, rather than having to do it all 16 times yourself.

Share Your Answer

Sign in to help the community with your knowledge.

Jouw antwoord

0/10000 tekens

Min. 10 tekens