Cancún

Cancún · Questions

What are the best places to spot sharks in Cancun?

What are the best places to spot sharks in Cancun?

Otro 4 answers • hannah_flet
I've been reading about shark sightings in Cancun and I'm interested in taking a specialized tour to see them. I know there are other species around besides Whale Sharks, but I'm not sure where to go or what type of tour to take.
Write an Answer

3 Answers · 1 reply

fyodorfyodor •
Cancun's beaches, such as Lighthouse area, Forum Beach, and Dolphin Beach, are potential spots to catch a glimpse of sharks. Nevertheless, spotting them requires being a certified scuba diver, and even then, it's a long shot. If you're fortunate, you might see some sharks, but it's not a guaranteed experience.
Jaehyun J •
A month ago, a pair of Hammerheads was spotted near one of the wrecks off Isla Mujeres. This is a relatively rare sighting, but it's possible to see them in the area. It's worth noting that Isla Mujeres is a popular spot for scuba diving, with numerous wrecks to explore.
HansHans •
Shark sightings are uncommon outside of Nurse varieties in Cancun. In my experience, I've seen Blacktips and hammerheads during my years of working in diving. To increase your chances of spotting sharks, you'll need to venture to deeper sites. Playa Del Carmen offers Bullshark dives, but these are baited to attract the sharks, which disrupts their natural behavior. Cozumel has deep areas where you might see some sharks, and I've seen them roughly once every 50 dives, excluding Nurse Sharks.
PaolaPaola •
A few months ago, a video of four Blacktips feeding on a stingray at the beach went viral. This incident is a rare occurrence, and shark sightings are not common in Cancun. However, it's essential to remember that shark encounters can happen, and it's crucial to exercise caution when swimming or diving in areas where sharks are known to exist.

Share Your Answer

Sign in to help the community with your knowledge.

Tu respuesta

0/10000 caracteres

Mín. 10 caracteres