Siem Reap

Siem Reap · Questions

How do Cambodians feel about tourists cutting women's hair for wigs?

How do Cambodians feel about tourists cutting women's hair for wigs?

Gesundheit & Wellness 9 answers • Sergei Petrov
I've seen videos of tourists buying and cutting women's hair in Cambodia, and it made me wonder how locals feel about this practice. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I'd like to hear from people who live here.
Write an Answer

4 Answers · 5 replies

JimmyJimmy •

Those black woman? lol

Vibol SVibol S •
From a personal standpoint, consensual transactions are acceptable. However, from a broader perspective, it's problematic when individuals are coerced into selling their body parts for financial gain.
nathan •
That's sad, especially since for Cambodians, the head and hair are the most sacred parts of the body.
Sergei Petrov OP •
I wasn't aware of the cultural significance of hair in Cambodia. Knowing this adds another layer to why locals might feel uneasy about seeing a video of someone cutting a woman's hair for a wig.
nathan •
Growing up, only family elders were allowed to touch our heads. As a Cambodian American, I find the idea of picking a wig from a woman's head to be exploitative.
nedcavanagh •
My wife regularly donates her long hair to charity, and I've learned that the concept of hair being sacred varies greatly across cultures. Whether or not this practice is exploitative depends on various factors.
Emma W •
Many younger Cambodians view this practice differently than older generations. In my household, my Cambodian wife returns from the hairdresser with significant hair loss, but I refrain from commenting.
hyeon44 •
But there are people cutting black women's hair too, so it's not the same culture.
lukas_neumlukas_neum •
If a white woman made a video of cutting a black woman's hair for a wig, there would be widespread outrage. The same should apply to this situation. While I'm not opposed to people buying real hair wigs, this video comes across as insensitive and exploitative.

Share Your Answer

Sign in to help the community with your knowledge.

Ihre Antwort

0/10000 Zeichen

Min. 10 Zeichen

Explore More

Ähnliche Fragen

No related questions yet.